Don Neuen has served this ministry with distinction, and we celebrate his lasting legacy of choral excellence. In light of Don’s retirement, we are currently seeking a replacement Choral Conductor. This is a part time, paid position. Full details are available in the position description below. If you meet the minimum requirements and are interested in applying, please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Choral Conductor
Reports To: Executive Pastor – Hour of Power
Position Status: Independent Contractor; Approximately 20 hours per week
Date: March 2017
Position Summary: Responsible for all aspects of supervising and coordinating the internationally acclaimed Hour of Power Choir, including recruitment, retention, choral music selection, and performance scheduling.
Candidates will be evaluated on experience, education, and demonstrated ability to work creatively in collaborative situations. A qualified candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Professed Christian faith, and personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.) preferred; Master of Music (M.M.) in choral conducting required.
- Significant collegiate choral conducting experience. The choir currently consists of volunteers from the congregation, plus 24 professional (paid) singers. Therefore, a professional level of conducting is expected by the choir.
- The ability to conduct major choral works with orchestra, such as Handel’s Messiah.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with orchestral musicians and orchestral conductor.
- Open to incorporating diverse musical genres in the worship services.
- Creative in leading and contributing to an inspiring, spiritual environment. Able to maintain a fresh, evolving approach to the ministry’s choral music program.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct – Conduct the Choir on Sunday mornings and at other times, such as Christmas Eve and periodic special events.
- Select – Research and select music. Prepare for choral performances.
- Recruit – Seek out, invite and audition qualified singers (both volunteer and professional) who demonstrate vocal musical excellence to join the Choir.
- Rehearse – Conduct regular Thursday evening rehearsals – and others necessitated by special performances. The summer schedule of July and August is adjusted to eliminate the Thursday evening rehearsals. Extra time is given for rehearsal on Sunday mornings. Summer: paid singers are required to sing, volunteers are encouraged to sing.
- Attend – Worship Planning Team meetings twice a month to outline and plan the upcoming worship services.
- Introduce – Occasionally, verbally introduce an anthem to the congregation and Hour of Power viewers, if doing so will enhance worship during the anthem
General Job Skills & Attributes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with a diverse staff and congregation.
- Enjoys working with others in a team environment.
- Active focus on positive relationships; treating people with dignity, respect, integrity and compassion.
- Possesses the personal time availability to meet the requirements of the music department, and overall ministry.
- Must possess strong administrative skills, and be able to effectively organize and prioritize weekly tasks with varied deadlines.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- Willing to contribute to a harmonious team effort.
- Strong problem solving skills. Self-starting and proactive.
- Has the ability to adapt quickly and effectively in time sensitive situations.
Compensation will be mutually agreed upon by the ministry and the successful candidate. The compensation is competitive for part-time church choral conducting positions.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the ministry and the contractor, and is subject to change by the ministry as the needs of the ministry and requirements of the position change. This is an independent contractor position. The ministry does not participate in the State of California unemployment insurance program.